Kick Drum – R-121
Drum Overhead – SF-12
Engineer: Roger Summers
Recorded at Royaltone Studios, Burbank, CA
Session drummer Kevin Shepard playing a Gretsch kit in a large iso booth.
Recording chain: all mics through Neve console preamps, recorded directly to DAT.
1. Kick Drum/Room – one R-121 three feet from the front head.
2. SF-12 overhead, lightly EQ’d to open up highs.
3. C-24 overhead (same position as the SF-12, for comparison)
4. SF-1’s overhead, lightly EQ’d.
(The SF-1 is discontinued, but the active SF-2 sounds identical and has higher output.)
5. SF-12 overhead (lightly EQ’d) and one R-121 three feet off the kick drum.
6. SF-12 overhead and one R-121 three feet off the kick drum. Same track as #5, but with no EQ.